The Town of Berlin Sanitation Department collects trash for each residence/business one day per week, and recycling for residences one day per week. Regular Household trash must be placed in the provided container; recycling does not need to be placed in a special container, but must be separated by type and easily identifiable.
WHEN ARE COLLECTIONS SCHEDULED?
If your general refuse is collected on Tuesday, then your recyclables will be collected on Monday, if your general refuse is collected on Wednesday or Thursday, then your recyclables will be collected on Friday.
If you are unsure what your scheduled collection day is, or have any other questions regarding collection, please email the Public Works Department, or call them at 410-641-4001.
In July of 1992, the Town of Berlin implemented a mandatory recycling program.There were many reasons for implementing this program – primarily economic, environmental, and resource conservation.
WHAT CAN BE RECYCLED?
- GLASS – bottles and jars only. Preparation: Rinse, remove lids, rings andmetal attachments. Paper labels may be left on the jar or bottle. It is NOT necessary to separate by color.
- PLASTIC – any plastic container with the recycling symbol 1 thru 7 (no plastic bags). Preparation: Rinse, remove caps, lids, rings or other attachments and crush to flatten. Paper labels may be left on the container.
- ALUMINUM – drink cans and clean aluminum food containers or foil. Preparation: Rinse.
- FERROUS, TIN, OR BI-METAL – cans only (will stick to a magnet). Preparation: Rinse.
- PAPER – newspapers and magazines, office paper, “junk mail”, etc. Preparation: Keep clean and dry, bundle with string or place in disposal bags in stacks of twelve (12) inches or less.
- CARDBOARD – CORRUGATED ONLY. Preparation: Same as paper above.
No special container is required for recyclable materials, however all items must be in separate containers as outlined above.Recycle containers need only be sturdy enough to be handled without bursting, and easily identifiable as containing recyclables. Designate your recyclable containers by marking them, or by providing a container with a visual means of identifying the materials inside without opening the bag or lid. Metal drums are not acceptable, and neither are plastic cans larger than thirty (30) gallons of capacity. Factory-made recycling containers are also available at many area merchants.
WHEN ARE COLLECTIONS SCHEDULED?
General refuse (regular household garbage) will be collected once per week and recyclables once per week. If your general refuse is collected on Tuesday, then your recyclables will be collected on Monday, if your general refuse is collected on Wednesday or Thursday, then your recyclables will be collected on Friday.
There are also recycling containers located at the entrance to the Municipal Power Plant on William Street for drop-offs.
In the event of a holiday, or other Town office closure, general refuse and/or recyclables will be collected on the next regularly scheduled day, unless otherwise scheduled.Any change in scheduling will be published in local newspapers, on the Public Access Channel (cable channel 4) and/or in the Berlin Community News. If you should have any questions regarding the collection routes or the separation of recyclables from general refuse, please call the Public Works Department at 410-641-4001.
For information regarding changes to the trash or recycling schedule due to holidays, or for the Spring and Fall Special Collections, please see our Holiday and Special Collection Schedule.