Posted on August 1, 2023
(Cadets and Experienced)
Berlin Police Department
The Berlin Police Department is accepting applications for full-time police officers. There will be a physical agility test for cadets at the Berlin Police Department, with the written test to immediately follow upon successful completion of the physical agility.
Cadets: Starting salary for cadets is $21.70/hour ($45,136) while in the academy and through successful completion of field training. Salary then goes to $25.13/hour ($52,270)
Less than two (2) years of experience $25.13/hour ($52,270)
Over two (2) years of experience $28.70/hour ($59,696)
Over 10 years of experience $31.01/hour ($64,500)
***Additional pay awarded to individuals with specialty fields, see below***
- Be 21 Years Old
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Have a High-School Diploma or approved GED
- Pass extensive background checks to include: Psychological exam, Physical exam, Drug test, Criminal history, Credit check, and Driving Record.
The following is a list of current benefits also provided by the Town of Berlin:
- Town-paid life insurance
- Membership with Maryland State Retirement Law Enforcement Officers Pension System
- Fifteen paid holidays a year (additional holiday pay if worked)
- Inclement weather pay
- Shift differential pay for evening and midnight shifts
- Specialty unit pay (examples: K9, Collision Reconstruction, Criminal Investigation Division, Polygraph Operator, Bi-lingual, etc…)
- Sick leave (one day a month, no carryover limit)
- Personal days (two annually)
- Vacation days (6 days year one, 12 days years two through five, etc.)
- Educational benefits (required paid in full by town/non-required 100% reimbursed with contract)
- Overtime and compensatory leave
- Take home car if approved by Chief of Police
For questions or applications please contact the Berlin Police Department at 410-641-1333 or stop in at 129 Decatur Street, Berlin, MD 21811. Applications can also be found online at www.berlinmdpd.org and click on Employment.
**Applications will not be accepted through the Town’s website, the applications found on this page are different than a police officer application, which can only be obtained through the Police Department here.** Applications for this position are accepted year-round and will be kept for one year. During that year if a vacancy becomes available the Police Department will be in contact with you. DO NOT use the application on this webpage, the Police Department has a separate application that can be found here.