Regular Mayor and Council Meetings are held at 7:00 PM on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month. Two specially scheduled Work sessions are held in the spring to discuss the General Fund and Enterprise Funds budgets for the upcoming fiscal year. Occasionally, other special work sessions are held for specific purposes. Please follow the links for a complete schedule of Mayor and Council and other Board and Commission meetings.

If you have a topic you’d like to bring before the Mayor and Council and wish to be on the agenda for an upcoming meeting, please email Town Administrator Jeff Fleetwood or call 410-641-4144. Agendas are set by end-of-business the Wednesday prior to the scheduled meeting. There is also a public question/comment period at the end of each meeting.

Town Elections are held every even-numbered year. For more information on Town of Berlin Elections, including Council Districts and schedules, please follow the link, email Administrative Services Director Mary Bohlen or call 410-641-4314.

Public Service Announcements must be submitted in writing and can be emailed to, faxed to 410-641-2316, or dropped off at Town Hall. Please submit at least two weeks in advance. Questions? Call Mary Bohlen at 410-641-4314. You may also submit your announcement online.

If you are seeking a public document, you may submit the form found by clicking here. Or you can contact Administrative Assistant Kelsey Jensen at 410-973-2289 or

For more information on CodeRED, click here.

For more information on Meeting Rooms, click here.

The Town advertises its open positions on this webpage and in local and/or regional venues. For a current list of job openings, please click here.

The Town will accept applications at any time and they will be kept on file for one year. Applications can be picked up at Town Hall, by clicking here.

Economic and Community Development

No. The Berlin Chamber of Commerce is a membership organization that is completely independent of the Town of Berlin, though the Chamber and the Town have enjoyed a close partnership for many years on many projects and activities. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Chamber, please contact them at 410-641-4775 or Please note, the Chamber of Commerce charges annual dues to its members that are completely separate and unrelated to the Town of Berlin Business License.

The simple answer is that anyone operating a retail or service business or who owns rental units needs to get a business license. Please click here for the business license application, which also contains information about license fees.

The types of available grants vary from time-to-time, and each business’s need is unique. Please contact Ivy Wells, Economic and Community Development Director for more information at 410-629-1722 or

Berlin has a variety of special events throughout the year, but there’s always room for more! All organized special events must be approved by the Mayor and Council.  For more information, please click here for an application or contact Administrative Assistant Allison Early at 410-629-1716 or

Please contact Allison Early at 410-629-1722 or email

If you own a historic home in the Town of Berlin and would like to order a historic plaque please fill an order form.

Please contact Allison Early at 410-629-1722 or email

Please visit



If you notice a streetlight that is dark or not working properly (i.e. it doesn’t come on when it should, stays on during daylight hours, or flickers), please call us as soon as possible. We often don’t know about streetlight problems because our personnel is not typically at work during dark hours. If possible, have the pole number (there is a small metal tag on every pole), the nearest street address or cross the street. To report an outage online, please click here.

Please click here for a Utility Application for Service – Residential or Commercial. You should contact Customer Service before submitting your application; the form must be printed out and completed and there are other documents that must accompany the submission. Please call 410-641-2770 for more information.

The various rates and fees charged by the Town of Berlin for Electric services can be found in the Town of Berlin Electric Service Tariff.  Please keep in mind that calculating what your electric bill will be is not as simple as multiplying kilowatts used by the rate charged; there are other factors that go into the calculating of a bill and, while our rates for service types are established and cannot change without the Town going through the proper procedure with the Maryland Public Service Commission, other factors of the bill may fluctuate from month to month.  If you have further questions about bill calculation and service fees, please contact Tim Lawrence by email or at 410-629-1713.

If you think your bill is too high in a given month, it is possible that the meter was “over” read. If this is the case, it is important that you contact 410-641-3401 or email the location to us as soon as possible; the sooner the meter can be read after the initial reading, the easier it is to ascertain if a mistake has been made and to fix it. You can also read your meter yourself to try to determine if the reading was incorrect.

If you think your bill is too high overall, we may be able to assist you by suggesting changes that could save you energy, thereby reducing your bill. While we can’t offer all services to all customers, you should still contact us to see if we can help. There are also numerous sources on the internet that you can research to determine some simple and inexpensive ways to conserve energy; use caution when making any purchase or hiring independent consultants or contractors.

Although it is rare, electric meters, like any mechanical instrument, can stop working properly. You can request that your meter be tested at any time; however, we will only test at no-charge once every 18 months.

Locally, ShoreUp! Inc. can assist with Electric Utility bills for qualifying individuals (they do not assist with Water bills). You can also reach out to 2-1-1 Maryland for assistance with a variety of services, including utility bill help. There are also numerous local non-profits, including many places of worship that can offer assistance.


Utility bills can be paid online at Municipal Online Payments. Real property taxes are billed for Berlin by the Worcester County Treasurer’s office; more information can be found at Unfortunately, online payments are not available for other bills payable to the Town of Berlin at this time. Payments can be mailed to Town of Berlin, 10 William Street, Berlin, MD 21811. For more information call 410-641-2770 or email

On the back of your bill are explanations for most of the items. If you still can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please refer to our Tariff (for electric bill questions), or our Town Code regarding water and wastewater. Still have questions? Please call 410-641-2770 or email

Visit the Finance Department webpage to access the last Fiscal Year financial statements online, or they can be reviewed at any time at Town Hall, or for purchase upon request. For more information, please contact Acting Finance Director Natalie Saleh at 410-641-2770 or

Visit the Finance Department webpage to access the annual budget. If you have any questions, please contact Finance Director Natalie Saleh at 410-641-4355 or

Locally, ShoreUp! Inc. can assist with Electric Utility bills for qualifying individuals (they do not assist with Water bills). You can also reach out to 2-1-1 Maryland for assistance with a variety of services, including utility bill help. There are also numerous local non-profits, including many places of worship that can offer assistance.


Both Stephen Decatur and Henry Park have pavilions that can be reserved for use for activities such as picnics, birthday parties, etc. Please note: the pavilions tend to be reserved on weekends well in-advance; so you are advised to contact us as soon as you have a date in mind. Other areas of the parks are available for use at any time without a reservation. Please click here for a Parks Reservation Form.

Anyone wishing to use the parks for business-related purposes (in this case defined as any activity in which money exchanges hands for goods or services), must make application to the Mayor and Council. Please click here for the appropriate forms. For more information/to arrange an appearance before the Mayor and Council, please contact Mary Bohlen, Deputy Town Administrator at or 410-641-4314.

The Berlin Parks Commission has implemented a Commemorative Program to allow individuals, companies, agencies, or organizations to make donations or money or amenities to honor people or commemorate events. For more information about the program, please click here.

Planning and Zoning

The best way to find out if you need a permit and what type of permit you need is to call us at 410-641-4143 or email

If you know what type of permit you need, please click here. If you have ANY questions about what type of permit, please contact us at 410-641-4143 or email

Many of our forms and applications are available via our webpage, however, we are not yet set up for electronic submission. To view a particular form, and complete on your computer, please click here.  At this time, you will need to print out the form and submit a paper copy to the office.

Please contact us at 410-641-4143 or email All reports are confidential.

Please click here for the meetings schedules.

Public Works Department

The Sanitation crew starts its workday as early as 6:00 AM, so we recommend having your trash or recycling at the curb no later than that; it is acceptable to put it out the night before. We also recommend having it out that early because our route can sometimes vary – for example, we may typically be on your street at 7:30 AM, but something may occur on a given day which causes us to get to you earlier or later.

For information about when your street is scheduled for pickup, please click here for information about the collection schedule, contact the Public Works Department at 410-641-4001 or email Keep in mind that holidays or other closures may affect the collection schedule.

For detailed information about what and how to recycle for curbside collection, please click here.

Yes, there are two Yard Waste collections and two Bulk Item collections scheduled each year in the spring and fall. The dates are scheduled according to your regular trash collection day. For more information, please click here.

The landfill is actually run by Worcester County. You may call 410-632-3177 or visit their website for more information.

The Public Works Department does offer commercial trash and recycling collection for a quarterly charge based on volume. For more information, please contact Public Works.

Water Resources

The best source for information about the Town’s water is in our annual Consumer Confidence Water Report, which is published every June for the preceding calendar year.

The various rates and fees charged by the Town of Berlin for Water Resources Department services are outlined in Resolution 2012-03, passed in March of 2012.   Please keep in mind that calculating what your water bill will be may not be as simple as multiplying gallons used by the rate charged; there may be other factors that affect the total due.  Rates for service types are established and cannot change without the approval and passage of a Resolution by the Mayor and Council.  If you have further questions about bill calculation and service fees, please contact Water Resources Director Jamey Latchum by email or at 410-641-3845.

No. All of these natural materials also pick up other materials such as oil, trash, animal feces, etc. as they travel through the storm water system, which then break down and contaminate our coast bays in various ways. They also take a long time to fully decompose, which results in blockages of storm drains and pipes.

If you believe that your water bill is too high, there are several things to check for: First, there is a possibility that the meter was misread; you can compare your bill to the same period for last year either by looking at your own records, if you have them, by using the Town’s online utility payment system, or by contacting the billing department at 410-641-2770. If it seems that the meter is misread, we can reread it and you will be issued a corrected bill. Another thing to look for is a water leak; if you notice an area of your yard or the area under your house that is always wet, there is a strong possibility that you have a leak. While we can assist in determining that there is a leak and locating it, we can’t actually work to fix any plumbing that is between the meter and your building, but finding the leak is an important first step. Also, if you hear or see water dripping from a faucet or hear your toilet running, it can make a huge difference to your bill to get this fixed. A dripping faucet or running toilet can use gallons of water over time – water that runs through your meter.

The Town allows residents to pay only the water portion of a pool fill-up once a year. Pool owners must contact the water department prior to fill-up to submit an application and pay the $20.00 fee. It is very important to contact us after the pool has been filled in order to determine the proper credit. The Town also allows a resident with an in-ground irrigation system to have a separate meter installed to meter the water that is only being used for irrigation and does not charge for sewer on these particular meters.

Locally, ShoreUp! Inc. can assist with Electric Utility bills for qualifying individuals (they do not assist with Water bills). You can also reach out to 2-1-1 Maryland for assistance with a variety of services, including utility bill help. There are also numerous local non-profits, including many places of worship that can offer assistance.

Town Calendar

Upcoming Events

Events Calendar

« December 2021 » loading...

Upcoming Events

Wed 08

Fall Yard Waste Collection – Tuesday and Wednesday Trash Customers

December 8 @ 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
For Tuesday and Wednesday trash collection customers. Please see the Public Works Department for important information regarding Yard Waste Collection.
Wed 08

Planning Commission 12-8-2021 @ 5:30PM

December 8 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Town Hall
Mon 13

Closed Session of the Mayor and Council

December 13 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Town Hall
Closed session of the Mayor and Council pursuant to the Statutory Authority of the State of Maryland General Provisions Article,...
Mon 13

Mayor & Council Meeting

December 13 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Town Hall