Please find our current job opening(s) below. If you are interested in being employed by the Town of Berlin, please scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Apply for Employment” button. Thank you for your interest in our employment opportunities.
Line Technician Apprentice
Job Title: Line Technician Apprentice
Reports To: Electric Superintendent
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Charter Status: Unclassified
Prepared By: Administrative Manager, KJ
Prepared Date: 06/16/2020
OBJECTIVE: To aid in the operations and duties of the Electric department with the ultimate goal of becoming a certified class 1 linesman.
Specific job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assists with installations, maintenance and repairs of overhead distribution systems and related facilities.
- Assists with installations, maintenance and repair work on low and high voltage transmissions and distribution lines.
- Operates a bucket truck, ditch witch, plow, back-hoe, line truck and other related equipment.
- Assists with installing electric services.
- Installs secondary cable and assists with underground installation.
- Trims trees from electric lines.
- Performs work on de-energized lines.
- Attaches guy wires to poles.
- Possess the ability to climb poles in excess of 60 feet.
- Keeps all vehicles supplied with tools and materials.
- Required to be on stand-by or on-call.
- Performs meter readings, disconnects, re-connects and streetlight repairs.
- Assist with generation, as needed.
- Performs home energy audits, as needed.
- Performs cable locating.
- Other duties as assigned in accordance with departmental functions/goals.
RESPONSIBILITY & AUTHORITY:
Responsible for maintaining knowledge and skills necessary to perform the work required.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Some experience in electric line construction and/or maintenance preferred.
Must serve a minimum 6-month probationary period. Incumbent must agree to attend and satisfactorily complete a line technician certification course that will be paid for by the Town. Ability and willingness to perform manual labor; ability to follow oral directions; learn to set poles; string wire and perform related work. Ability to observe safety rules and regulations; strength to perform manual work and physical stamina to withstand working under adverse weather conditions; ability to climb poles; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other workers.
Applications may be obtained from Town Hall located at: 10 William Street, Berlin, MD 21811 or downloaded from our website: http://www.berlinmd.gov. Applications must be submitted to the Human Resources office located at 10 William Street; Berlin, MD 21811.