Born on March 23, 1883, and died on July 3, 1969. Phillips was a Councilman from 1920 to 1922. Phillips also purchased land to build the first brick structure for a Municipal office and a home for Berlin’s “Old Mack” – a Mack Chain Drive Fire Truck from Mack Fire Truck of New York. He also oversaw the installation of Berlin’s first motorized pumper fire truck as its contract cost was $4,289.38, which was to be completed in ninety days.
Phillips built a canning company in 1906 with Levin E. Derickson, which lasted for six years before being destroyed in a fire. Phillips built a new cannery named Phillips Canning Company and employed over 180 people, many of them Berlin families. The company’s main products were tomatoes, and the company earned a War Food Administration “A” Award in 1944 for its contribution to the war effort in World War II. The business would last until the 1970s.
Taylor, Susan. (2007). Berlin. Arcadia Publishing, p. 72.