• coolest_small_town
  • downtown

Did You Know?

  • 1937 Triple Crown winner War Admiral was owned by Glen Riddle Farm. In 1938, War Admiral raced and lost to Seabiscuit – as seen in the movie “Seabiscuit”. Both horses were descended from Man O’ War, another celebrated racehorse.

  • By 1905, Berlin was the hub of Worcester County, at one point boasting more hotels than Ocean City.

  • 47 individual structures in Berlin are on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • The downtown area was destroyed by fires in 1895, 1901, and 1904. Following the first fire, the Mayor and Council passed an Ordinance required that all new structures in the downtown be built of brick.

  • Charles Albert Tindley, who wrote the hymn “I’ll Overcome Someday” (which later became “We Shall Overcome”) was born in Berlin in 1851.

  • Stephen Decatur, a hero of the Barbary Wars was born just east of Berlin in 1779.

  • Early records place settlers in the area beginning in January 1649.

  • The name Berlin is a contraction of the name “Burley Inn”. In 1677 a tract of land was patented and named Burley, and later became the location for the Burley Inn

  • In 1924 Berlin boasted Harrison’s Nursery, the “World’s Largest Fruit Producer”. Drought and disease decimated area fruit orchards between 1884 and 1962.

  • Berlin became an incorporated Town in 1868.

  • In 1949, a $100 reward was offered for the capture or killing of a roaming lion seen in Worcester County!

  • In May 1914, the Berlin Library was temporarily closed to prevent the spread of measles through the circulation of books.

  • In 1911, the census placed the Town’s population at 1317; up from 1247 in 1900 and 974 in 1890.

  • In 1913, a Sunday Excursion to Ocean City on the Pennsylvania Railroad cost $.40 from Ironshire, $1.05 from Girdletree and $.55 from Queponco.

  • On September 24, 1910, Berlin boasted twelve automobiles and a suggestion was made to hold a parade!

  • In 1910, Berlin adopted the slogan “Watch Berlin Grow”, an expectation of new interest in a Berlin now offering water and fire protection.

  • On May 1, 1908 Worcester County saloons closed. Worcester County was the last of the eastern shore counties to “come in out of the wet” for prohibition.

  • In 1902 C.B. Taylor began building his new bank on the corner of Main and Commerce Streets (where it still stands today).

  • In early 1902, Berlin suffered an outbreak of whooping cough.

  • In 1903 many of Berlin’s streets began to be paved with brick.

  • The Town of Berlin, MD is located on the Eastern Shore, just 10 minutes west from Ocean City.